Remove incorrect remarks on Nadars from CBSE book: Jaya to PM
Chennai: Joining other political leaders in the state, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa on Friday demanded removal of "objectionable" references in the CBSE textbook about Nadar community which has produced great leaders like K Kamaraj and their contribution to the society was immeasurable.
In a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, she said the "incorrect" details in the textbook of class IX were "very misleading and may leave a wrong impression in the minds of the students" about the community.
"The social and economical development achieved by the Nadars over the years is commendable. Their success in the fields of education and business can be attributed to their hard work and determination", she said urging the Prime Minister to direct officials to remove "objectionable" references.
Noting that great leaders including Kamaraj belonged to this community and their contribution to society was immeasurable, Jayalalithaa said various associations belonging to the community made representations to her condemning such "objectionable" references about their community.
She said that contrary to the information given in the text, the Nadars were the original inhabitants of the Kanyakumari district and this was corroborated by the Tholkappiam and Silappathikaram literatures.
"The Nadars are said to be descendants of those who ruled the Cheran, Cholan and Pandyan Kingdoms... The Nadar Community is not a lower caste as mentioned in the CBSE book. Rather, they have been rulers of South India at one point of time", the Chief Minister said.
DMK Chief M Karunanidhi had yesterday wrote to the Prime Minister on the issue. MDMK leader Vaiko and PMK leader S Ramadoss have also objected to the references.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi