Rs 5 cr Navaratna angi for Goddess Abirami at temple
Nagapattinam: A Rs five crore nine gem `Navaratna angi` was adorned on Goddess Abirami at Lord Amirthakadeshwara temple at Thirukkadaiyur near Porayar and special poojas held for legendary saint Abirami Pattar.
The angi was created from the amount got from Hundi Collections. A Chennai-based jewellery shop has worked on it for three years to create it, temple sources said.
Later in the day, thousands of devotees took part in `Paal Kaavadi`.
Legend has it that one Subramania Aiyar, popularly called `Abirami Pattar` was a devotee of Goddess Abirami. One day, he faced the wrath of the King of the area for terming `no moon day` as full moon day by mistake.The King declared that Pattar would be beheaded if the full moon did not appear that day.
Pattar sang hymns in praise of Goddess Abirami at the temple. Pleased, she appeared before him and threw her ear ring over the sky, which eventually became the full-moon on no moon day. The hymns are called as `Abirami Andhathi`.
The day on which this legendary event is believed to have taken place is on Thai Aamavassai day on Saturday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Kashmir unrest: J&K delegation meets PM Modi; seeks immediate ban on pellet gun
- Cow vigilantism? Man heckled in Mumbai on suspicion of carrying bag made of cowhide
- Jigisha Ghosh murder case: Delhi court pronounces death for two convicts, life in jail for third
- Joint Admission Board forms panel to suggest ways to boost number of women in IITs
- Revealed! How Diana Penty prepped up for her character in 'Happy Bhag Jayegi' – Details inside