Rs 5 cr Navaratna angi for Goddess Abirami at temple
Nagapattinam: A Rs five crore nine gem `Navaratna angi` was adorned on Goddess Abirami at Lord Amirthakadeshwara temple at Thirukkadaiyur near Porayar and special poojas held for legendary saint Abirami Pattar.
The angi was created from the amount got from Hundi Collections. A Chennai-based jewellery shop has worked on it for three years to create it, temple sources said.
Later in the day, thousands of devotees took part in `Paal Kaavadi`.
Legend has it that one Subramania Aiyar, popularly called `Abirami Pattar` was a devotee of Goddess Abirami. One day, he faced the wrath of the King of the area for terming `no moon day` as full moon day by mistake.The King declared that Pattar would be beheaded if the full moon did not appear that day.
Pattar sang hymns in praise of Goddess Abirami at the temple. Pleased, she appeared before him and threw her ear ring over the sky, which eventually became the full-moon on no moon day. The hymns are called as `Abirami Andhathi`.
The day on which this legendary event is believed to have taken place is on Thai Aamavassai day on Saturday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Former CM Panneerselvam demands secret voting in Tamil Nadu Assembly
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Exclusive: In conversation with Rajnath Singh, Union Home Minister
- DMK, Congress will vote against government formation in Tamil Nadu
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley