Rs 5 cr Navaratna angi for Goddess Abirami at temple
Nagapattinam: A Rs five crore nine gem `Navaratna angi` was adorned on Goddess Abirami at Lord Amirthakadeshwara temple at Thirukkadaiyur near Porayar and special poojas held for legendary saint Abirami Pattar.
The angi was created from the amount got from Hundi Collections. A Chennai-based jewellery shop has worked on it for three years to create it, temple sources said.
Later in the day, thousands of devotees took part in `Paal Kaavadi`.
Legend has it that one Subramania Aiyar, popularly called `Abirami Pattar` was a devotee of Goddess Abirami. One day, he faced the wrath of the King of the area for terming `no moon day` as full moon day by mistake.The King declared that Pattar would be beheaded if the full moon did not appear that day.
Pattar sang hymns in praise of Goddess Abirami at the temple. Pleased, she appeared before him and threw her ear ring over the sky, which eventually became the full-moon on no moon day. The hymns are called as `Abirami Andhathi`.
The day on which this legendary event is believed to have taken place is on Thai Aamavassai day on Saturday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued