RS cross-voting: Vijayakant suspends seven MLAs
Chennai: Cracking the whip on the dissidents, DMDK headed by actor Vijaykant has suspended seven of its MLAs, who did not vote for the party`s nominee in the recent Rajya Sabha biennial polls, for alleged anti-party activities, party sources said on Saturday.
Vijaykant communicated their suspension in a letter to the MLAs yesterday and asked them to reply before July 10 as to why they did not comply with party Whip V C Chandirakumar`s June 20 letter asking them to vote for DMDK candidate A R Elangovan, the sources said.
The MLAs suspended are R Sundarrajan, K Tamil Azhagan, C Arun Pandian, Michael Royappan, T Sureshkumar, Shanthi and K Pandiarajan, who have shifted their loyalties and met Chief Minister Jayalalithaa under the pretext of taking up development of their constituencies.
These MLAs have been alloted separate seats in the assembly by the Speaker.
Principal opposition party in the state assembly, DMDK, bit the the dust in the Rajya Sabha polls as its candidate A R Elangovan lost bagging only 22 votes against its strength of 29 with the seven MLAs voting for AIADMK.
Needing minimum of 33 votes, the party unsuccessfully attempted to secure the support of Congress, which chose to back erstwhile ally DMK, ensuring Kanimozhi`s re-election by 31-22 margin.
In the elections to six seats, AIADMK won four and CPI backed by it the other.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP