RS cross-voting: Vijayakant suspends seven MLAs
Chennai: Cracking the whip on the dissidents, DMDK headed by actor Vijaykant has suspended seven of its MLAs, who did not vote for the party`s nominee in the recent Rajya Sabha biennial polls, for alleged anti-party activities, party sources said on Saturday.
Vijaykant communicated their suspension in a letter to the MLAs yesterday and asked them to reply before July 10 as to why they did not comply with party Whip V C Chandirakumar`s June 20 letter asking them to vote for DMDK candidate A R Elangovan, the sources said.
The MLAs suspended are R Sundarrajan, K Tamil Azhagan, C Arun Pandian, Michael Royappan, T Sureshkumar, Shanthi and K Pandiarajan, who have shifted their loyalties and met Chief Minister Jayalalithaa under the pretext of taking up development of their constituencies.
These MLAs have been alloted separate seats in the assembly by the Speaker.
Principal opposition party in the state assembly, DMDK, bit the the dust in the Rajya Sabha polls as its candidate A R Elangovan lost bagging only 22 votes against its strength of 29 with the seven MLAs voting for AIADMK.
Needing minimum of 33 votes, the party unsuccessfully attempted to secure the support of Congress, which chose to back erstwhile ally DMK, ensuring Kanimozhi`s re-election by 31-22 margin.
In the elections to six seats, AIADMK won four and CPI backed by it the other.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof