Security beefed up in Coimbatore after threat of multiple blasts
Coimbatore: Security has been tightened at all public places in the city after an anonymous caller rang up the police control room and warned of blasts at seven areas and dared them to try and prevent it.
Police said the caller rang up this morning and said there would be blasts at seven places and to try and prevent them. But when asked to elaborate, he said it was not important and what was crucial was that the explosions would take place, especially in Ganapati area.
On getting this information, Police Commissioner AK Vishwanathan ordered the force to be on full alert and deployed additional force at places with large public concentration, including bus stands, railway stations, airport, places of worship and malls and markets, they said.
A Bomb Detection and Disposal Squad was sent to Ganapati, the area specifically mentioned by the caller.
A senior police official, requesting anonymity, said the department has traced the call and would soon zero in on the person, who was reportedly in an inebriated condition.
The official said police have left nothing to chance and the entire city has been brought under strict surveillance with additional deployment of forces to prevent any eventualities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head