Security beefed up in Coimbatore after threat of multiple blasts
Coimbatore: Security has been tightened at all public places in the city after an anonymous caller rang up the police control room and warned of blasts at seven areas and dared them to try and prevent it.
Police said the caller rang up this morning and said there would be blasts at seven places and to try and prevent them. But when asked to elaborate, he said it was not important and what was crucial was that the explosions would take place, especially in Ganapati area.
On getting this information, Police Commissioner AK Vishwanathan ordered the force to be on full alert and deployed additional force at places with large public concentration, including bus stands, railway stations, airport, places of worship and malls and markets, they said.
A Bomb Detection and Disposal Squad was sent to Ganapati, the area specifically mentioned by the caller.
A senior police official, requesting anonymity, said the department has traced the call and would soon zero in on the person, who was reportedly in an inebriated condition.
The official said police have left nothing to chance and the entire city has been brought under strict surveillance with additional deployment of forces to prevent any eventualities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- How has life changed since govt's demonetisation move?
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof