Sixteen drown in sea as boat capsizes
Rameswaram: Sixteen people,
including 10 women drowned when their boat capsized in
the sea near Vazhai Theevu island in the Gulf of Mannar, off
Periyapattinam coast, police said.
The victims included an Australian NRI woman, who came
here to attend a marriage, police said.
The victims, hailing from the fishermen colony of
Periyapattinam village, were on a picnic between Rameswaram
and Tuticorin in a boat fitted with engine when the mishap
occurred, Marine Police DSP Thiagarajan said.
It was not known immediately how many people were
travelling in the boat though it was permitted to carry upto
seven passengers only.
Preliminary reports said the boat carried more than 20
people, he said.
A top official of the Indian Coastguard said that
rescue and search operations by naval helicopter and Coast
Guard`s hover crafts and Marine Police were going on as there
were different versions about the number of passengers.
People from the village had proceeded in two boats,
one of which capsized, Thiragarajan said.
The boats were owned by Abyub Khan and Rasool Khan and
they were not licensed to carry people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre