Sixteen drown in sea as boat capsizes
Rameswaram: Sixteen people,
including 10 women drowned when their boat capsized in
the sea near Vazhai Theevu island in the Gulf of Mannar, off
Periyapattinam coast, police said.
The victims included an Australian NRI woman, who came
here to attend a marriage, police said.
The victims, hailing from the fishermen colony of
Periyapattinam village, were on a picnic between Rameswaram
and Tuticorin in a boat fitted with engine when the mishap
occurred, Marine Police DSP Thiagarajan said.
It was not known immediately how many people were
travelling in the boat though it was permitted to carry upto
seven passengers only.
Preliminary reports said the boat carried more than 20
people, he said.
A top official of the Indian Coastguard said that
rescue and search operations by naval helicopter and Coast
Guard`s hover crafts and Marine Police were going on as there
were different versions about the number of passengers.
People from the village had proceeded in two boats,
one of which capsized, Thiragarajan said.
The boats were owned by Abyub Khan and Rasool Khan and
they were not licensed to carry people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing