Sri Lankan courts order release of 163 fishermen
Rameswaram: Two courts in Sri Lanka today ordered the release of 163 Tamil Nadu fishermen,arrested by naval personnel of the island nation in the past two months and lodged in prisons there, a top functionary of the local fishermen`s organisation said.
S Emerite, President of Rameswaram fishermen organisation said a court in Mallagam ordered the release of 50 fishermen of Jegathapattinam. Twenty of them were arrested on November 20 and and 30 on December 11, he said.
While 20 of them would be released today, the others would be released tomorrow, he said.
Another court at Trincomalee ordered release of 111 fishermen of Nagapattinam. All of them were produced in court today following which the magistrate passed the order,he said.
The 111 fishermen were arrested on December 11 while they were fishing near Kodiakarai and were lodged in a prison in Trinconamalle.
Another 32 fishermen from Karaikal, arrested on January 17 this year near Kodiyakarai, were also produced in the Trincomalee court, following which the magistrate ordered their release, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor