Sri Lankan courts order release of 163 fishermen
Rameswaram: Two courts in Sri Lanka today ordered the release of 163 Tamil Nadu fishermen,arrested by naval personnel of the island nation in the past two months and lodged in prisons there, a top functionary of the local fishermen`s organisation said.
S Emerite, President of Rameswaram fishermen organisation said a court in Mallagam ordered the release of 50 fishermen of Jegathapattinam. Twenty of them were arrested on November 20 and and 30 on December 11, he said.
While 20 of them would be released today, the others would be released tomorrow, he said.
Another court at Trincomalee ordered release of 111 fishermen of Nagapattinam. All of them were produced in court today following which the magistrate passed the order,he said.
The 111 fishermen were arrested on December 11 while they were fishing near Kodiakarai and were lodged in a prison in Trinconamalle.
Another 32 fishermen from Karaikal, arrested on January 17 this year near Kodiyakarai, were also produced in the Trincomalee court, following which the magistrate ordered their release, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand