Sushma demands Alagiri`s removal for `attack` on poll official
Tiruchirappalli: Senior BJP leader Sushma
Swaraj on Wednesday demanded removal of Union Minister M K Alagiri
from the Cabinet in wake of the alleged attack on a poll
official by DMK men in his presence.
"Our demand for removal of Alagiri is already there and we
will reiterate our demand," she told reporters here.
Police had registered a case against Alagiri and over 50
DMK workers for allegedly assaulting an Assistant Election
Officer in Melur in Madurai District when he videographed
their visit to a temple.
The official who had claimed that he was assaulted by DMK
men in the presence of Alagiri, son of Chief Minister M
Karunanidhi, however, later went back on his statement and
said he was not roughed up.
"The unearthing of Rs 5.11 crore cash from a bus here and
the attack on poll official in Madurai District are only marks
of shame to democracy," Swaraj, the Leader of the Opposition
in Lok Sabha, said.
"Karunanidhi`s outburst shows his frustration," she said,
referring to the chief minister`s criticism of the Election
Commission for its tough actions, which he said had created an
Asked about UPA government`s cricket diplomacy in inviting
Pakistan Prime Minister Yusuf Raza Gilani and Sri Lankan
President Mahinda Rajapaksa to witness the World Cup matches,
the BJP leader said, "We have serious issues among the
neihghbours it should not get mixed with cricket."
Swaraj said the 2G spectrum scam and alleged involvement of
Tamil Nadu politicians in it would continue to be raised and
the issue had not died as thought in some circles.
Stating that response to election meetings of BJP in the
state was "overwhelming", she expressed confidence of a
"significant victory" for the party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Anna Hazare flaunts his swag on 'The Kapil Sharma Show', no kidding! - Pic inside