Take steps for credible probe in war crimes in Sri Lanka: DMK to Centre
Chennai: DMK on Sunday asked the Centre to take steps for a credible and independent international probe into alleged human rights violations and war-crimes against civilian Tamils in Sri Lanka.
The party also said New Delhi should press Colombo for implementation of the 13th Amendment to the Sri Lankan Constitution as an "interim relief" to the ethnic minorities.
DMK`s key decision-making body remained undecided on forming alliance for next year`s Lok Sabha polls with none of the 23 resolutions at the meeting of the General Council making any mention about elections or a tie-up.
The General Council, which met under its chief M Karunanidhi, said devolution of powers as envisaged in the 13th Amendment of the Sri Lankan constitution, an Indian initiative, was yet to become a reality.
Despite an elected government to the Northern Province under C V Wigneswaran, key powers including dissolution of the provincial councils were with President Mahinda Rajapakse, a resolution said.
Powers that had been given to Northern and Eastern provinces were "watered down" ones, it said.
The General Council demanded that India play an active role for a referendum among Tamils in the said provinces, besides expatriates, in line with "people`s desire" for a political solution.
"While insisting for India to move and adopt a resolution in the UN Human Rights Council (UNHRC) for a credible and independent international probe into (alleged) war crimes and human rights violations against Tamils, this general council insists that as an interim relief, the Indian government should at least press Sri Lanka for the implementation of the 13th Amendment," the party resolved.
This will help the Tamils with devolution of powers, it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena