Talks to resolve `cartelisation` issue inconclusiv
Rameswaram: Talks between officials and fishermen, on an indefinite strike protesting fish traders forming a "cartel" and quoting very low price for their catch remained inconclusive, with no solution found.
This was stated by Emirit, Rameswaram fishermen`s association president here on Monday.
C Muthuraman, Revenue Divisional Officer, said purchasing companies have attributed the drop in prawn prices to arrival of large quantity of prawn from inland fish farms.
Fishermen told officials that they should break the `cartel formed by four fish trading companies so that other traders could come to Tamil Nadu, enabling fishermen get better price.
They said the present price quoted by the cartel,was very low, leading to losses for them.
Officials said District Collector Nandakumar would meet the fishermen and company officials tomorrow.
The fishermen had launched the indefinite strike yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 4 pm
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam