Tests to be conducted at Kudankulam nuclear plant
Chennai: Mandatory tests prescribed by India`s atomic regulator will be carried out at the Kudankulam Nuclear Power Project`s (KNPP) first unit before the reactor power is increased, said a senior official.
"The tests are tentatively scheduled this week subject to the clearance from the Southern Regional Load Despatch Centre," KNPP site director R.S.Sundar said in a statement issued Thursday.
India`s atomic power plant operator, the Nuclear Power Corporation of India Ltd (NPCIL) is setting up two 1,000 MW Russian reactors at Kudankulam in Tirunelveli district, 650 km from here. The total outlay for the project is over Rs.17,000 crore.
KNPP is India`s first pressurised water reactor belonging to the light water reactor category.
The first unit attained criticality - the beginning of the fission process - in July 2013
In August, the Atomic Energy Regulatory Board gave its nod to KNPP to raise the reactor power levels to 50 percent and for synchronisation of the unit with the power grid.
According to Sundar, the KNPP`s first unit is generating 425 MW power and its performance is satisfactory.
He said certain mandatory tests related to steam discharge valves have to be done to increase the reactor power further.
Sundar said during the tests to be done during day time, steam will be released for a short period (3-5 minutes). The ambient noise level is likely to go up marginally during the tests, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested