Three dead in Sivakasi fireworks factory fire
Sivakasi: Three persons were charred to death and 13 seriously injured in a blaze that swept through a private fireworks factory after an accidental explosion at nearby Singampatti on Thursday.
Police said the fire also resulted in a series of explosions in the unit.
Fire service personnel rushed to the spot and rescued the injured after battling the flames and explosions, which kept them at bay for more than half an hour.
The injured have been admitted to the Sivakasi government hospital. Police said an enquiry was on into the reasons for the fire.
This is the second such incident in a fireworks unit this year near Sivakasi. Eight persons were killed in a blaze at a unit at Naranapuram on April 24.
Meanwhile, two persons were arrested for trying to illegally smuggle chemically prepared wicks used in crackers at nearby Vachakarapatti and four bundles seized from them.
Their arrest followed a check of their bike based on a tip off that such wicks were being supplied to illegal units in villages, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why