Three dead in Sivakasi fireworks factory fire
Sivakasi: Three persons were charred to death and 13 seriously injured in a blaze that swept through a private fireworks factory after an accidental explosion at nearby Singampatti on Thursday.
Police said the fire also resulted in a series of explosions in the unit.
Fire service personnel rushed to the spot and rescued the injured after battling the flames and explosions, which kept them at bay for more than half an hour.
The injured have been admitted to the Sivakasi government hospital. Police said an enquiry was on into the reasons for the fire.
This is the second such incident in a fireworks unit this year near Sivakasi. Eight persons were killed in a blaze at a unit at Naranapuram on April 24.
Meanwhile, two persons were arrested for trying to illegally smuggle chemically prepared wicks used in crackers at nearby Vachakarapatti and four bundles seized from them.
Their arrest followed a check of their bike based on a tip off that such wicks were being supplied to illegal units in villages, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible