Three dead in Sivakasi fireworks factory fire
Sivakasi: Three persons were charred to death and 13 seriously injured in a blaze that swept through a private fireworks factory after an accidental explosion at nearby Singampatti on Thursday.
Police said the fire also resulted in a series of explosions in the unit.
Fire service personnel rushed to the spot and rescued the injured after battling the flames and explosions, which kept them at bay for more than half an hour.
The injured have been admitted to the Sivakasi government hospital. Police said an enquiry was on into the reasons for the fire.
This is the second such incident in a fireworks unit this year near Sivakasi. Eight persons were killed in a blaze at a unit at Naranapuram on April 24.
Meanwhile, two persons were arrested for trying to illegally smuggle chemically prepared wicks used in crackers at nearby Vachakarapatti and four bundles seized from them.
Their arrest followed a check of their bike based on a tip off that such wicks were being supplied to illegal units in villages, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof