TN fishermen attacked by Lankan Naval personnel
Rameswaram: Large number of fishermen from Tamil Nadu were on Sunday attacked allegedly by Sri Lankan Naval personnel with stones and bottles while fishing off Katchatheevu, causing damage to some boats, officials said.
The fishermen from here, Mandapam and other coastal areas of Ramanathapuram and Nagapattinam districts were fishing in about 1,400 boats near Kathchatheevu early this morning when the Lankan naval who came in a ship and a small boat allegedly attacked them, they said.
They allegedly pelted stones and other missiles, including bottles. They also snapped the fishing net of ten boats, Nagapattinam Assistant Director of Fisheries Gunasekaran said.
The fishermen said most of them could not fish in view of the continuous stone pelting by the Sri Lankan Naval personnel. Some of the boats from Nagapattinam were steel bodied and they could manage to fish, he said.
Kathchatheevu is an islet ceded by India to Sri Lanka under an agreement in the 1970s.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata