TN fishermen attacked by Lankan Naval personnel
Rameswaram: Large number of fishermen from Tamil Nadu were on Sunday attacked allegedly by Sri Lankan Naval personnel with stones and bottles while fishing off Katchatheevu, causing damage to some boats, officials said.
The fishermen from here, Mandapam and other coastal areas of Ramanathapuram and Nagapattinam districts were fishing in about 1,400 boats near Kathchatheevu early this morning when the Lankan naval who came in a ship and a small boat allegedly attacked them, they said.
They allegedly pelted stones and other missiles, including bottles. They also snapped the fishing net of ten boats, Nagapattinam Assistant Director of Fisheries Gunasekaran said.
The fishermen said most of them could not fish in view of the continuous stone pelting by the Sri Lankan Naval personnel. Some of the boats from Nagapattinam were steel bodied and they could manage to fish, he said.
Kathchatheevu is an islet ceded by India to Sri Lanka under an agreement in the 1970s.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report
- Safa Baig: What you need to know about Irfan Pathan's lady love