TN fishermen attacked by Lankan Naval personnel
Rameswaram: Large number of fishermen from Tamil Nadu were on Sunday attacked allegedly by Sri Lankan Naval personnel with stones and bottles while fishing off Katchatheevu, causing damage to some boats, officials said.
The fishermen from here, Mandapam and other coastal areas of Ramanathapuram and Nagapattinam districts were fishing in about 1,400 boats near Kathchatheevu early this morning when the Lankan naval who came in a ship and a small boat allegedly attacked them, they said.
They allegedly pelted stones and other missiles, including bottles. They also snapped the fishing net of ten boats, Nagapattinam Assistant Director of Fisheries Gunasekaran said.
The fishermen said most of them could not fish in view of the continuous stone pelting by the Sri Lankan Naval personnel. Some of the boats from Nagapattinam were steel bodied and they could manage to fish, he said.
Kathchatheevu is an islet ceded by India to Sri Lanka under an agreement in the 1970s.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Zee Media Exclusive: In conversation with BJP President Amit Shah
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days