TN fishermen attacked by Lankan Naval personnel
Rameswaram: Large number of fishermen from Tamil Nadu were on Sunday attacked allegedly by Sri Lankan Naval personnel with stones and bottles while fishing off Katchatheevu, causing damage to some boats, officials said.
The fishermen from here, Mandapam and other coastal areas of Ramanathapuram and Nagapattinam districts were fishing in about 1,400 boats near Kathchatheevu early this morning when the Lankan naval who came in a ship and a small boat allegedly attacked them, they said.
They allegedly pelted stones and other missiles, including bottles. They also snapped the fishing net of ten boats, Nagapattinam Assistant Director of Fisheries Gunasekaran said.
The fishermen said most of them could not fish in view of the continuous stone pelting by the Sri Lankan Naval personnel. Some of the boats from Nagapattinam were steel bodied and they could manage to fish, he said.
Kathchatheevu is an islet ceded by India to Sri Lanka under an agreement in the 1970s.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing