TN leaders spent less than limit set during polls
Chennai: AIADMK chief Jayalalithaa, DMK
president M Karunanidhi, his son MK Stalin and DMDK chief
Vijayakanth spent far less than the limit set by the Election
Commission for poll-related expenses during the April 13
Though the EC had set a limit of Rs 16 lakh for election-
related expenses, Jayalalithaa spent Rs 9.60 lakh, while her
arch-rival Karunanidhi expended Rs 4.47 lakh -- not even half
the amount used by the AIADMK leader, as per their poll
expenditure details submitted to the Election Commission.
Out of the total expenditure, Jayalalithaa, who contested
from Srirangam constituency, spent majority of her money (Rs
65,700) on vehicles and campaigning through electronic media
and print media (Rs 58,300), her expenditure details said.
She had spent Rs 32,200 for erecting cutouts and
posters in her constituency.
Karunanidhi, who contested from Tiruvarur constituency,
had spent Rs 4.47 lakh, of which Rs 1 lakh was towards
campaign through electronic media, posters and cutouts.
The 88-year-old had spent Rs 1.92 lakh for vehicles
while Rs 45,000 was spent on public meetings and rallies.
Stalin, who contested from Kolathur constituency, has
shown an expenditure of Rs 3.32 lakh, including Rs 66,700 for
public meetings and rallies, Rs 80,440 on campaign material.
His miscellaneous expenses were Rs 1.48 lakh.
Vijayakant, who contested from Rishivandhiyam
constituency, spent Rs 7.97 lakh, of which Rs 1.58 lakh was
for vehicle expenses. He spent Rs 1.73 lakh on public meetings
and Rs 60,625 on campaigns. His miscellaneous expenditure was
Rs 3.62 lakh, according to his expenditure details.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video