TN: Two IAS officers charged with corruption
Chennai: Vigilance officials searched 34 places in Tamil Nadu Saturday, after filing two cases against two IAS officers and a group of state officials for irregularities in quarrying.
The Directorate of Vigilance and Anti-Corruption (DVAC) said it had conducted a detailed inquiry to probe largescale irregularities in granite quarrying in Madurai district over the past several years.
According to DVAC, a case under the Prevention of Corruption Act has been registered against IAS officers N. Mathivanan and C. Kamaraj and other state government officials.
Mathivanan, currently director at the Department of Sugar, was formerly the district collector in Madurai, around 450 km from here.
Kamaraj, managing director of the Tamil Nadu Salt Corp, was a former district collector at Madurai.
According to DVAC, Mathivanan and some officials abused their position, concealed facts pertaining to largescale illegal quarrying by PRP Granites and Exports.
The DVAC also charged them with falsifying the records to show that there was no illegal quarrying by the company.
The DVAC has charged Kamaraj and some officials with abusing their official position to conceal the encroachment and illegal quarrying in the water bodies of Madurai district.
The role of several serving and retired government officials of various departments and private individuals is also being probed, DVAC added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Rahul Gandhi received pay while on 56 day leave: Organizer
- Mega sale: Snapdeal, Flipkart, others gear up for festive season
- Zee Media Exclusive: Three Romanians arrested in skimming scam in Mumbai
- Dadri lynching: Azam Khan seeks UN intervention
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country will not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- 'Rahul Gandhi gets pay without work'
- Dadri Police recommends FIR against Mahesh Sharma, Sangeet Som, Naseemuddin Siddiqui