Toll in cracker unit fire rises to seven
Sivakasi (TN): With two women succumbing to
burn injuries in hospital, the toll in the cracker unit fire
at Kalayarkurichi near here has risen to seven, officials said
The two, one of whom hailed from Bihar, died late last
night and the condition of five injured is stated to be
serious, they said.
Officials said the fire that swept through parts of the
factory yesterday was caused due to alleged mishandling of
chemicals and all the deceased were women workers.
The officials said the cracker unit was owned by one
Kanakaprabhu who was making a fancy variety of crackers.
About 200 workers were employed in the factory.
Most of the workers escaped as they were having their
lunch, away from the site where the fire broke out, officials
Sivakasi is famous for its cracker manufacturing units.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Four minors gang-rape teenage girl in Mumbai, circulate video on WhatsApp
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview