Toll in cracker unit fire rises to seven
Sivakasi (TN): With two women succumbing to
burn injuries in hospital, the toll in the cracker unit fire
at Kalayarkurichi near here has risen to seven, officials said
The two, one of whom hailed from Bihar, died late last
night and the condition of five injured is stated to be
serious, they said.
Officials said the fire that swept through parts of the
factory yesterday was caused due to alleged mishandling of
chemicals and all the deceased were women workers.
The officials said the cracker unit was owned by one
Kanakaprabhu who was making a fancy variety of crackers.
About 200 workers were employed in the factory.
Most of the workers escaped as they were having their
lunch, away from the site where the fire broke out, officials
Sivakasi is famous for its cracker manufacturing units.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand