Train mishap: Pol parties in AP blame Railways for negligence
Hyderabad: Political parties in Andhra Pradesh on Monday accused the Railways of being "negligent", while expressing shock and grief over the fire in Chennai-bound Tamil Nadu Express in which over 30 passengers were killed.
"The gruesome mishap has only exposed the Railways` negligence over passenger safety issues," Telugu Desam Party president N Chandrababu Naidu said in a statement.
CPM politburo member BV Raghavulu pointed out that maintenance of trains had been poor because of privatisation in the name of outsourcing.
"It has put passengers` safety in peril. The Centre should immediately put an end to privatisation in Railways and entrust all works to regular staff to prevent such mishaps," he said.
The mishap on Tamil Nadu Express occurred because of poor maintenance of electrical system on the train, he alleged, adding, "Such a ghastly mishap never occurred in recent times."
Chandrababu and Raghavulu extended sympathies to the bereaved families and requested the government to pay adequate compensation to the victims` families.
"It is unfortunate that such a fire mishap took place causing human loss in the days of technical advancement and availability of quality safety measures," YSR Congress honorary president YS Vijaya said in her statement.
Expressing "deep shock" over the incident, she demanded a thorough probe and preventive measures.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan