Vaiko criticises Centre`s move on FDI in retail
Chennai: Opposing the Centre`s decision to
allow 51 per cent FDI in retail trade, MDMK o Saturday said the
decision would `strangulate` 20 crore retail traders and
demanded its revocation.
In a statement issued here, the MDMK General Secretary Vaiko
said " The Centre`s move will strangulate the livelihood of 20
crore people involved in retail trade and demanded its
He said the decision would allow multinationals a
monopoly over retail trade and leave the livelihood of traders
It would also affect the interests of farmers of the
country as MNCs would import agricultural produce, he said.
Vaiko said the Centre`s decision was also against the
spirit of federalism as retail trade comes under ambit
of the state governments, which had not been consulted, he
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mild earthquake jolts Rajasthan, no damage reported
- Leander Paes, Sania Mirza advance at US Open
- Yakub Memon, Afzal Guru's executions were politically motivated: Justice AP Shah
- Sheena Bora case: This is how Indrani Mukerjea got idea to plot a 'perfect murder'
- OROP stalemate to end soon, Govt's draft agreement ready, claim sources