Vasan urges PM to impress upon Karna to release water
Chennai: Concerned over the plight of Tamil Nadu farmers as a fallout of the Cauvery crisis,Union Shipping Minister G K Vasan on Thursday appealed to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to impress upon Karnataka to release water from its dams to Tamil Nadu to save the samba crop.
"Karnataka not releasing water to Tamil Nadu is a wrong decision which should not be allowed," Vasan told the Prime Minister in his brief meeting with him in Delhi thursday.
As compared to last year, Tamil Nadu has witnessed 50 per cent less rainfall this year and if the situation continued in the Delta region "there is a danger of drought," he said.
Karnataka should abide by the ruling of the Prime Minister, as head of the Cauvery River Authority, asking it to release 9,000 cusecs of water, which was endorsed by the Supreme Court, he added.
Vasan said the Prime Minister gave a patient hearing and assured "we will definitely discuss on the issue so that justice is done."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum