Vasan urges PM to impress upon Karna to release water
Chennai: Concerned over the plight of Tamil Nadu farmers as a fallout of the Cauvery crisis,Union Shipping Minister G K Vasan on Thursday appealed to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to impress upon Karnataka to release water from its dams to Tamil Nadu to save the samba crop.
"Karnataka not releasing water to Tamil Nadu is a wrong decision which should not be allowed," Vasan told the Prime Minister in his brief meeting with him in Delhi thursday.
As compared to last year, Tamil Nadu has witnessed 50 per cent less rainfall this year and if the situation continued in the Delta region "there is a danger of drought," he said.
Karnataka should abide by the ruling of the Prime Minister, as head of the Cauvery River Authority, asking it to release 9,000 cusecs of water, which was endorsed by the Supreme Court, he added.
Vasan said the Prime Minister gave a patient hearing and assured "we will definitely discuss on the issue so that justice is done."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming