Vasan urges PM to impress upon Karna to release water
Chennai: Concerned over the plight of Tamil Nadu farmers as a fallout of the Cauvery crisis,Union Shipping Minister G K Vasan on Thursday appealed to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to impress upon Karnataka to release water from its dams to Tamil Nadu to save the samba crop.
"Karnataka not releasing water to Tamil Nadu is a wrong decision which should not be allowed," Vasan told the Prime Minister in his brief meeting with him in Delhi thursday.
As compared to last year, Tamil Nadu has witnessed 50 per cent less rainfall this year and if the situation continued in the Delta region "there is a danger of drought," he said.
Karnataka should abide by the ruling of the Prime Minister, as head of the Cauvery River Authority, asking it to release 9,000 cusecs of water, which was endorsed by the Supreme Court, he added.
Vasan said the Prime Minister gave a patient hearing and assured "we will definitely discuss on the issue so that justice is done."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena