Vijaykanth surrenders in court
Tirunelveli: Facing a non-bailable arrest warrant, MDK founder and Leader of the Opposition in Tamil Nadu Assembly Vijaykanth on Thursday surrendered before a court here in connection with a defamation case filed by the Jayalalithaa government.
Judicial Magistrate Kamalavathi, who yesterday issued the warrant after Vijaykanth failed to appear before her in response to summons, revoked it and posted the case to June 5 for the next hearing.
The Government Advocate has filed the case against Vijaykanth, who is the Leader of the Opposition in the Tamil Nadu Assembly, seeking to punish him for his alleged defamatory remarks against Chief Minister Jayalalithaa on August 6 last during a public meeting here.
Reacting to the issuance of arrest warrant, DMDK had yesterday said Vijaykanth was busy with a meeting of party MLAs and hence could not appear before the court and that he would present himself today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections 2017: Samajwadi Party's 'kaam bolta hai' slogan faces litmus test