Vijaykanth surrenders in court
Tirunelveli: Facing a non-bailable arrest warrant, MDK founder and Leader of the Opposition in Tamil Nadu Assembly Vijaykanth on Thursday surrendered before a court here in connection with a defamation case filed by the Jayalalithaa government.
Judicial Magistrate Kamalavathi, who yesterday issued the warrant after Vijaykanth failed to appear before her in response to summons, revoked it and posted the case to June 5 for the next hearing.
The Government Advocate has filed the case against Vijaykanth, who is the Leader of the Opposition in the Tamil Nadu Assembly, seeking to punish him for his alleged defamatory remarks against Chief Minister Jayalalithaa on August 6 last during a public meeting here.
Reacting to the issuance of arrest warrant, DMDK had yesterday said Vijaykanth was busy with a meeting of party MLAs and hence could not appear before the court and that he would present himself today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- Lalitgate: Centre denies deal with Congress over Sushma Swaraj, Vasundhara Raje
- Lalitgate: BJP helping fugitives, law breakers; PM Modi doing 'Maun Yoga', alleges Congress