Will fight alone in Tamil Nadu if there is no alliance: Chidambaram
Sivaganga: Facing the daunting task of going it alone in the Lok Sabha polls in Tamil Nadu where 39 seats are up for grabs, Congress has put up a brave face with Union Finance Minister P Chidambaram saying they would field candidates in all 40 constituencies even if there is no alliance.
"Congress can face elections alone or with allies. Parties like Janata Party, United Janata Dal fell into oblivion, but Congress is not like that. Even if there is no alliance, we will field candidates in all constituencies and seek votes telling people about the party`s achievements," he said.
The minister was addressing the party`s booth committee workers at Manamadurai in the district yesterday.
Congress` last-minute efforts to stitch an alliance with DMK was reportedly blocked by its senior leader MK Stalin, while actor-politician Vijaykanth-led DMDK, wooed by it, has embraced the BJP combine.
AIADMK is contesting all 40 seats, including one in neighbouring Union Territory of Puducherry, on its own.
DMK has firmed up alliance with IUML, MMK, VCK and Puthiya Tamizhagam.
Left parties are also left with no allies after their alliance with AIADMK collapsed over sharing of seat.
In the 2009 elections, Congress, a partner in the DMK-led DPA, had contested 16 seats and won nine of them, while the front itself claimed an impressive 28 seats.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Army orders modern helmets for jawans, can withstand bullets fired from short range
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir