Telangana minister blames railways for accident
Hyderabad: A Telangana minister has blamed negligence by the railways for the ghastly accident at a railway crossing in Medak district that left 19 school children dead.
Irrigation Minister Harish Rao said railways failed to install a gate despite repeated representations by local people and public representatives.
Rao was talking to reporters at Masayipet where a train hit a school bus, killing 19 children and the driver and injured 20.
He said the gate would be installed within a week. He said road over bridges or under bridges and gates at unmanned crossings will be constructed wherever required in Telangana.
He said Chief Minister K Chandrasekhar Rao had ordered a probe. The state government will pay Rs 5 lakh ex-gratia each to the families of the dead.
Home Minister N Narasimha Reddy has also blamed railways for the disaster.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security