Telangana minister blames railways for accident
Hyderabad: A Telangana minister has blamed negligence by the railways for the ghastly accident at a railway crossing in Medak district that left 19 school children dead.
Irrigation Minister Harish Rao said railways failed to install a gate despite repeated representations by local people and public representatives.
Rao was talking to reporters at Masayipet where a train hit a school bus, killing 19 children and the driver and injured 20.
He said the gate would be installed within a week. He said road over bridges or under bridges and gates at unmanned crossings will be constructed wherever required in Telangana.
He said Chief Minister K Chandrasekhar Rao had ordered a probe. The state government will pay Rs 5 lakh ex-gratia each to the families of the dead.
Home Minister N Narasimha Reddy has also blamed railways for the disaster.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says