Veteran Akali leader dies in Chandigarh
Chandigarh: Veteran Akali leader and former Samana MLA Gurdev Singh Grewal died Monday at Patiala after prolonged illness, his family members said here.
Grewal passed away at the age of 90. He is survived by his wife, two sons and a daughter.
Meanwhile, Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal and Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal have condoled the death of Grewal.
Sharing his heartfelt sympathies with members of the bereaved family, the Chief Minister described Grewal as a "disciplined and committed soldier" of the party.
Badal said his contribution in the development of the region and welfare of people would be ever remembered by one and all.
Grewal was elected MLA from Samana assembly constituency in 1977.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued