Veteran Akali leader dies in Chandigarh
Chandigarh: Veteran Akali leader and former Samana MLA Gurdev Singh Grewal died Monday at Patiala after prolonged illness, his family members said here.
Grewal passed away at the age of 90. He is survived by his wife, two sons and a daughter.
Meanwhile, Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal and Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal have condoled the death of Grewal.
Sharing his heartfelt sympathies with members of the bereaved family, the Chief Minister described Grewal as a "disciplined and committed soldier" of the party.
Badal said his contribution in the development of the region and welfare of people would be ever remembered by one and all.
Grewal was elected MLA from Samana assembly constituency in 1977.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists?
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part II
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part III
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part IV
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families?
- Bank employees to go on strike on Friday, services to be hit
- Avg 49 days of employment generated in 2015-16 under MGNREGA: Govt
- Turkey`s post-coup purge: almost 16,000 detained, 50,000 fired
- Death sentences upheld for six Jamaatul Mujahideen Bangladesh militants in 2005 bombings
- Oh Air India! 11,000 flights rescheduled, 16,000 flights delayed till June 2016