1st anniversary of crackdown on farmers at Bhatta
Greater Noida: Marking the first anniversary of Uttar Pradesh police crackdown on farmers in Bhatta Parasol who protested acquisition of their land by the then Mayawati government, farmers on Monday staged a sit-demonstration demanding withdrawal of cases against them.
A few hundred farmers assembled at the Bhatta, where the farmers had launched their anti-land acquisition stir last January, and staged a sit-in demonstration demanding amendment in land acquisition policy and the right to farmers to sell their land directly to purchasers.
The agitation had turned violent on May 7 last year and a police-farmers clash took place in which two farmers and as many policemen were killed and several injured in exchange of fire.
Farmers leader Manvir Singh Tevatia was leading the agitation and police had arrested him and others and filed cases against them on charges of kidnapping, assault, rioting and other offences under IPC.
Since then, 9 farmers are still in jail while the rest have got bail.
Farmers said they will not allow any construction till the arrested farmers are released from jail and cases against them withdrawn.
The farmers` agitation had hit news headlines when Congress General Secretary Rahul Gandhi had visited the site and expressed solidarity with the farmers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Check Jharkhand JAC 12th Intermediate Arts Results 2015 on jac.nic.in
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Check rajresults.nic.in: Rajasthan Board Class 12th results 2015 to be declared today