1st anniversary of crackdown on farmers at Bhatta
Greater Noida: Marking the first anniversary of Uttar Pradesh police crackdown on farmers in Bhatta Parasol who protested acquisition of their land by the then Mayawati government, farmers on Monday staged a sit-demonstration demanding withdrawal of cases against them.
A few hundred farmers assembled at the Bhatta, where the farmers had launched their anti-land acquisition stir last January, and staged a sit-in demonstration demanding amendment in land acquisition policy and the right to farmers to sell their land directly to purchasers.
The agitation had turned violent on May 7 last year and a police-farmers clash took place in which two farmers and as many policemen were killed and several injured in exchange of fire.
Farmers leader Manvir Singh Tevatia was leading the agitation and police had arrested him and others and filed cases against them on charges of kidnapping, assault, rioting and other offences under IPC.
Since then, 9 farmers are still in jail while the rest have got bail.
Farmers said they will not allow any construction till the arrested farmers are released from jail and cases against them withdrawn.
The farmers` agitation had hit news headlines when Congress General Secretary Rahul Gandhi had visited the site and expressed solidarity with the farmers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore