1st anniversary of crackdown on farmers at Bhatta
Greater Noida: Marking the first anniversary of Uttar Pradesh police crackdown on farmers in Bhatta Parasol who protested acquisition of their land by the then Mayawati government, farmers on Monday staged a sit-demonstration demanding withdrawal of cases against them.
A few hundred farmers assembled at the Bhatta, where the farmers had launched their anti-land acquisition stir last January, and staged a sit-in demonstration demanding amendment in land acquisition policy and the right to farmers to sell their land directly to purchasers.
The agitation had turned violent on May 7 last year and a police-farmers clash took place in which two farmers and as many policemen were killed and several injured in exchange of fire.
Farmers leader Manvir Singh Tevatia was leading the agitation and police had arrested him and others and filed cases against them on charges of kidnapping, assault, rioting and other offences under IPC.
Since then, 9 farmers are still in jail while the rest have got bail.
Farmers said they will not allow any construction till the arrested farmers are released from jail and cases against them withdrawn.
The farmers` agitation had hit news headlines when Congress General Secretary Rahul Gandhi had visited the site and expressed solidarity with the farmers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands