632 incidents of sexual assault in UP last yr
Lucknow: A total of 632 incidents of child sexual exploitation and rape were reported in Uttar Pradesh from April 2012 till January 31 this year.
This was revealed in reply to a question raised in the Assembly today.
Parliamentary Affairs minister Mohammad Azam Khan said timely disposal of such cases could be one of the measures taken to deter those involved in such heinous activities.
He said a number of steps like starting women`s helpline, setting up women police stations besides constitution of human trafficking units in 24 districts have been taken to check such incidents in the state.
The government was serious and sensitive on the issue and would take steps to ensure that such incidents did not occur.
On a suggestion of creating data bank of criminals, Khan said if such a practice was prevalent in any other state, UP would also consider it.
Khan said his government was mulling which type of officers should be posted at sensitive places and how administrative officers should act.
"The type of incidents, which took place in recent past are unfortunate and no government want such incidents to occur," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar polls: Two surveys predict majority for Grand Alliance, one give edge to NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA