632 incidents of sexual assault in UP last yr
Lucknow: A total of 632 incidents of child sexual exploitation and rape were reported in Uttar Pradesh from April 2012 till January 31 this year.
This was revealed in reply to a question raised in the Assembly today.
Parliamentary Affairs minister Mohammad Azam Khan said timely disposal of such cases could be one of the measures taken to deter those involved in such heinous activities.
He said a number of steps like starting women`s helpline, setting up women police stations besides constitution of human trafficking units in 24 districts have been taken to check such incidents in the state.
The government was serious and sensitive on the issue and would take steps to ensure that such incidents did not occur.
On a suggestion of creating data bank of criminals, Khan said if such a practice was prevalent in any other state, UP would also consider it.
Khan said his government was mulling which type of officers should be posted at sensitive places and how administrative officers should act.
"The type of incidents, which took place in recent past are unfortunate and no government want such incidents to occur," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers