632 incidents of sexual assault in UP last yr
Lucknow: A total of 632 incidents of child sexual exploitation and rape were reported in Uttar Pradesh from April 2012 till January 31 this year.
This was revealed in reply to a question raised in the Assembly today.
Parliamentary Affairs minister Mohammad Azam Khan said timely disposal of such cases could be one of the measures taken to deter those involved in such heinous activities.
He said a number of steps like starting women`s helpline, setting up women police stations besides constitution of human trafficking units in 24 districts have been taken to check such incidents in the state.
The government was serious and sensitive on the issue and would take steps to ensure that such incidents did not occur.
On a suggestion of creating data bank of criminals, Khan said if such a practice was prevalent in any other state, UP would also consider it.
Khan said his government was mulling which type of officers should be posted at sensitive places and how administrative officers should act.
"The type of incidents, which took place in recent past are unfortunate and no government want such incidents to occur," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM