Absconding former MLA arrested
Bahraich: A former MLA, convicted by a sessions court for assaulting a dalit police personnel 17 years ago has been arrested, police said on Saturday.
Dilip Verma, who had been a Samajwadi Party MLA from Bahraich`s Mahsi constituency thrice, was arrested last evening and would be produced in the court today, SP VK Dixit said.
In 1995, Verma along with his aide Kuldeep Verma assaulted Shiv Sahai at Digiha crossing in Dargarh area after which a case was lodged, he said.
In May 2010, the Bahraich SC/ST court of Special Judge Anand Kumar Upadhyay sentenced both to five-year rigorous imprisonment.
They then moved applications in the Lucknow bench of Allahabad High Court, which was rejected after which the sessions court issued a non-bailable arrest warrant against them in April this year.
Dilip and Kuldeep were named the Congress candidates from Nanpara and Ikauna seats respectively in the recently concluded Uttar Pradesh assembly elections, but their tickets were canceled as they failed to get relief from the High Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof