Absconding former MLA arrested
Bahraich: A former MLA, convicted by a sessions court for assaulting a dalit police personnel 17 years ago has been arrested, police said on Saturday.
Dilip Verma, who had been a Samajwadi Party MLA from Bahraich`s Mahsi constituency thrice, was arrested last evening and would be produced in the court today, SP VK Dixit said.
In 1995, Verma along with his aide Kuldeep Verma assaulted Shiv Sahai at Digiha crossing in Dargarh area after which a case was lodged, he said.
In May 2010, the Bahraich SC/ST court of Special Judge Anand Kumar Upadhyay sentenced both to five-year rigorous imprisonment.
They then moved applications in the Lucknow bench of Allahabad High Court, which was rejected after which the sessions court issued a non-bailable arrest warrant against them in April this year.
Dilip and Kuldeep were named the Congress candidates from Nanpara and Ikauna seats respectively in the recently concluded Uttar Pradesh assembly elections, but their tickets were canceled as they failed to get relief from the High Court.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!