Akhilesh Yadav renames 8 UP districts
The Uttar Pradesh government on Monday changed the names of the eight districts which had been renamed by the previous Mayawati regime, official sources said.
The decision in this regard was taken at a cabinet meeting chaired by Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav.
While Chhatrapati Shahuji Maharaj Nagar, formerly known as Amethi, will now be known as Gauriganj, Rambai Nagar will be called Kanpur dehat.
The names of Bheem Nagar, Prabuddha Nagar and Pancheel Nagar have been changed to Bahjoi, Shamli and Hapur respectively, they said.
Similarly names of Kanshiram Nagar, Mahamaya Nagar and JP Nagar have been changed to Kasganj, Hathras and Amroha respectively.
The Cabinet also restored the name of King George`s Medical University (KGMU), which was changed to Chhatrapati Shahuji Maharaj Medical University in the BSP regime.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway