Bareilly clashes: Relief in curfew on Wednesday
Bareilly: The district administration on Tuesday decided to relax the curfew, clamped in parts of the city in the wake of clashes, for two to four hours tomorrow following improvement in the law and order situation.
District magistrate Abhishek Prakash said there was complete peace in curfew bound areas, including Baradari Qila, Prem Nagar and Kotwali.
He said that in the backdrop of Independence Day curfew would be relaxed from 8 am to 12 noon in Qila, Prem Nagar and Kotwali areas.
Similarly, curfew would be relaxed in Baradari area from 2 pm to 4 pm, the DM said.
Curfew continued in troubled areas of the city on the third consecutive day today with schools and colleges remaining closed in the region.
Trouble broke out in Baradari area on Saturday when two groups clashed after a Janmashtami procession deviated from its fixed route and was stopped by some persons in Jagatpur Panwaria locality leading to heavy brick batting and firing in which three persons, including a mother-son duo, were injured.
In Kalibari area, people went on rampage when the route of another procession was changed. While police resorted to lathicharge and fired tear gas shells, the mob indulged in brick batting and firing in which around 15 people, including three policemen, were injured.
In the wake of the clashes, curfew was clamped in Baradari, Prem Nagar, Qila and Kotwali areas of the city and all schools and colleges were closed till further orders.
Senior Superintendent of Police Satyendraveer Singh suspended two sub-inspectors, Asharam and Babu Ram, and removed inspector Baradari in connection with the clashes.
This is the second time curfew has been clamped in the city.
Earlier, curfew was clamped on July 22 following clashes between two groups which claimed four lives and was lifted completely on August 7.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof