Doctor couple get 5-year prison term for negligence
Mathura: A local court has sentenced a doctor couple to five year rigorous imprisonment after holding them guilty of medical negligence in a 12-year-old case.
Additional district and session judge also slapped a fine of Rs 10,000 each on Friday.
Rajeshwari was admitted to a nursing home run by Dr SC Saraswat and his wife Dr Usha Saraswat in the city for treatment of high fever, prosecution said.
According to the prosecution, Rajeshwari was also pregnant at that time.
The doctors diagnosed her pregnancy as the cause behind the fever and removed her uterus after terminating her pregnancy.
That, however, proved to be of little help to the patient whose condition worsened as she kept losing blood.
She had to be rushed to a hospital in Agra where doctors managed to save her life, although she was left partially disabled in the process.
After a court`s intervention a case was filed against the doctor couple.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- At 500 kilograms, is this 36-year-old the world's heaviest woman?
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption