Doctor couple get 5-year prison term for negligence
Mathura: A local court has sentenced a doctor couple to five year rigorous imprisonment after holding them guilty of medical negligence in a 12-year-old case.
Additional district and session judge also slapped a fine of Rs 10,000 each on Friday.
Rajeshwari was admitted to a nursing home run by Dr SC Saraswat and his wife Dr Usha Saraswat in the city for treatment of high fever, prosecution said.
According to the prosecution, Rajeshwari was also pregnant at that time.
The doctors diagnosed her pregnancy as the cause behind the fever and removed her uterus after terminating her pregnancy.
That, however, proved to be of little help to the patient whose condition worsened as she kept losing blood.
She had to be rushed to a hospital in Agra where doctors managed to save her life, although she was left partially disabled in the process.
After a court`s intervention a case was filed against the doctor couple.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city