EC orders transfer of Moradabad SSP ahead of bypoll
Lucknow: The Election Commission on Saturday directed the Uttar Pradesh government to remove Senior Superintendent of Police Moradabad Dharamveer Yadav.
"On the directives of the EC, SSP Moradabad has been removed and Luv Kumar has been posted in his place," a senior officer said here.
Yadav's transfer has been done following BJP's demand to the EC to remove him during an Assembly by-election in the district.
"State BJP President Laxmi Kant Bajpai has sent a letter to the CEC to remove SSP Moradabad Dharamveer Yadav during bye-election for Thakurdwara seat," BJP spokesman Vijay Bahadur Pathak said.
He said that in his letter Bajpai accused the SSP of working as "an agent of ruling SP".
More than 60 people were killed and 40,000 displaced during riots in Muzaffarnagar district and neigbouring areas in September last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday