EC orders transfer of Moradabad SSP ahead of bypoll
Lucknow: The Election Commission on Saturday directed the Uttar Pradesh government to remove Senior Superintendent of Police Moradabad Dharamveer Yadav.
"On the directives of the EC, SSP Moradabad has been removed and Luv Kumar has been posted in his place," a senior officer said here.
Yadav's transfer has been done following BJP's demand to the EC to remove him during an Assembly by-election in the district.
"State BJP President Laxmi Kant Bajpai has sent a letter to the CEC to remove SSP Moradabad Dharamveer Yadav during bye-election for Thakurdwara seat," BJP spokesman Vijay Bahadur Pathak said.
He said that in his letter Bajpai accused the SSP of working as "an agent of ruling SP".
More than 60 people were killed and 40,000 displaced during riots in Muzaffarnagar district and neigbouring areas in September last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends