EC proposes reserving Mirzapur for SC, two assembly seats for ST
New Delhi: The Election Commission has proposed to reserve the Mirzapur parliamentary constituency for Scheduled Castes and de-reserve the Robertsganj seat in its place in Uttar Prdesh.
After receiving revised population figures from the Registrar General of India, the Commission has also proposed to add one more reserve Assembly constituency from the existing 85 for SCs/STs in the 403-member Uttar Pradesh Assembly.
While the total reserved Assembly constituencies for Scheduled Castes will be reduced from the present 85 to 84, two more new constituencies will henceforth be reserved for Scheduled Tribes in the state, as per the EC proposal. At present there is no reserved constituency for Scheduled tribes in the state.
Among the existing reserved Assembly constituencies which are proposed to be de-reserved and made general constituencies include Mehroni in Lalitpur district, Salempur in Deoria district and Saidpur in Ghazipur district.
The Duddhi Assembly constituency which is currently reserved for Scheduled Castes will henceforth be reserved for Scheduled Tribes.
Among the Assembly constituency in the state which are proposed to be reserved for Scheduled Castes are Saharanpur, Barhaj in Deoria district and Ghorawal in Sonbhadra district.
The Obra general Assembly constituency in Sonbhadra district is henceforth proposed to be reserved for Scheduled Tribes.
The proposals have been made by the Commission under the provisions of the Readjustment of Representation of Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes in Parliamentary and Assembly Constituencies (Third) Ordinance, 2013, for readjustment of SC/ST seats in Parliamentary and Assembly Constituencies in the State of Uttar Pradesh.
The Commission has invited objections and suggestions in this regard and the same should be submitted before it by 5 PM on December 16, 2013.
The full Commission, comprising of Chief Election Commissioner and the two Election Commissioners will then visit Uttar Pradesh on December 26, 28 and 30 and hold hearings at Varanasi, Jhansi and Saharanpur respectively, to dispose of the objections raised.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read