Ensure proper treatment to cancer-stricken prisoners: HC to UP
Allahabad: The Allahabad High Court today ordered that "proper and adequate treatment" be provided to 14 prisoners, currently lodged at the Naini Central Jail on the outskirts of the city, who are reportedly suffering from cancer.
A Division Bench comprising Chief Justice Shiva Kirti Singh and Justice Dilip Gupta passed the order while treating a media report, about 14 prisoners lodged in the jail having been diagnosed with cancer and five of them being in "critical condition," as a Public Interest Litigation.
Arraying Principal Secretary (Home) of Uttar Pradesh, the state`s Inspector General (Prison) and Jail Superintendent of Naini Jail as respondents, the court ordered that "all the relevant details relating to the prisoners suffering from cancer and also the treatment being provided to them" be placed on record on the next date of hearing in the matter on April 10.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore