FIR against senior UP cop for assaulting protesters
Aligarh: An FIR has been registered against a senior police officer for allegedly beating up and misbehaving with locals including women, who were protesting against rape and murder of a minor Dalit girl in Nagla Kalar locality in Aligarh.
Circle Officer AK Singh, who was removed from his post following the incident on April 18, has been booked under various sections of the IPC including the SC/ST Atrocities Prevention Act.
Police had resorted to baton charge when a large number of protesters, including family members of the six-year-old Dalit girl, who was raped and killed in Nagla Kalar locality, took to the streets demanding police action in the case.
Among those injured in the baton charge were the victim`s mother and grandmother.
The FIR follows a stern directive by PL Punia, chairman of the National Commission for Scheduled Castes, who visited the area on April 19 and ordered that a case be registered against officers responsible for committing excesses against women protesters and also using derogatory language.
Meanwhile, members of the victim`s family, along with Ram Babu Katelia, a prominent farmer leader from Tappal, are continuing with their indefinite stir demanding a compensation of Rs 20 lakh and removal of a country liquor store in the locality, which they claim was fuelling alcoholism and crime in the area.
They are also demanding that Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav visit Aligarh to offer condolences to the bereaved family.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY