FIR against senior UP cop for assaulting protesters
Aligarh: An FIR has been registered against a senior police officer for allegedly beating up and misbehaving with locals including women, who were protesting against rape and murder of a minor Dalit girl in Nagla Kalar locality in Aligarh.
Circle Officer AK Singh, who was removed from his post following the incident on April 18, has been booked under various sections of the IPC including the SC/ST Atrocities Prevention Act.
Police had resorted to baton charge when a large number of protesters, including family members of the six-year-old Dalit girl, who was raped and killed in Nagla Kalar locality, took to the streets demanding police action in the case.
Among those injured in the baton charge were the victim`s mother and grandmother.
The FIR follows a stern directive by PL Punia, chairman of the National Commission for Scheduled Castes, who visited the area on April 19 and ordered that a case be registered against officers responsible for committing excesses against women protesters and also using derogatory language.
Meanwhile, members of the victim`s family, along with Ram Babu Katelia, a prominent farmer leader from Tappal, are continuing with their indefinite stir demanding a compensation of Rs 20 lakh and removal of a country liquor store in the locality, which they claim was fuelling alcoholism and crime in the area.
They are also demanding that Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav visit Aligarh to offer condolences to the bereaved family.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional