Gang-rape victim attempts self-immolation outside DC office
Kanpur: A 40-year-old alleged victim of gang rape today tried to immolate herself in front of the District Collector`s office here alleging inaction by the police force.
The woman tried to pour kerosene and immolate herself this afternoon but was prevented from doing so by the alert police men posted outside the DC office, Additional District Magistrate (City) Avinash Singh said.
The woman was allegedly gang raped on February 9 this year. A complaint was registered by the police in this connection after the woman approached the court, which directed the police to lodge an FIR, ADM Singh said.
The woman alleged inaction on part of the police and said that the emboldened criminals were even threating to kill her, which drove her to take this extreme step.
The ADM said he has referred the woman to SP (Rural) Anil Mishra who assured her swift action in the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!