Gang-rape victim attempts self-immolation outside DC office
Kanpur: A 40-year-old alleged victim of gang rape today tried to immolate herself in front of the District Collector`s office here alleging inaction by the police force.
The woman tried to pour kerosene and immolate herself this afternoon but was prevented from doing so by the alert police men posted outside the DC office, Additional District Magistrate (City) Avinash Singh said.
The woman was allegedly gang raped on February 9 this year. A complaint was registered by the police in this connection after the woman approached the court, which directed the police to lodge an FIR, ADM Singh said.
The woman alleged inaction on part of the police and said that the emboldened criminals were even threating to kill her, which drove her to take this extreme step.
The ADM said he has referred the woman to SP (Rural) Anil Mishra who assured her swift action in the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray