HC disposes of Union ministers` petition
Allahabad: The Allahabad High Court on Monday disposed of a petition filed by Union ministers Jitin Prasada and R P N Singh and two other Congress leaders challenging an FIR accusing them of assaulting a Samajwadi Party activist at a rally of party leader Rahul Gandhi more than a year ago.
A Division Bench comprising Justice Ravindra Singh and Justice Anil Kumar Agrawal passed the order observing "nothing remains in the matter" following submission of a final report by police.
The report suggested no case was made out against the Union Ministers and party MLA Pramod Tiwari and MLC Naseeb Pathan who were named in the FIR, lodged at Jhusi Police Station in trans-Ganga region in Allahabad on November 15, 2011.
In the FIR, complainant Abhishek Yadav had alleged he was thrashed by the Congress leaders while he was waving black flags to protest the visit of Gandhi who was then the Congress general secretary.
The rally, held on November 14 coinciding with the birth anniversary of Jawaharlal Nehru, had marked the commencement of the official campaign of the Congress for the 2012 assembly election in Uttar Pradesh.
A student of law at the Allahabad University, Yadav was allegedly beaten up by the SPG personnel after he was noticed running with a black flag towards Gandhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation