HC notice to Sonia Gandhi on plea challenging her election
Lucknow: The Allahabad High Court Thursday issued notice to Congress president Sonia Gandhi on a petition challenging her election from Rae Bareli parliamentary constituency.
Justice Tarun Agarwal of the bench here issued the notice on the petition filed by Ramesh Singh, a voter of Rae Bareli, seeking direction for quashing her election.
The court ordered for listing the petition on September 8.
In its order, the court said, "Admit. Issue notice to respondent no. 1 and 2 that is Smt. Sonia Gandhi and another (union of India) by ordinary process as well as by registered post..."
"List for orders on 8th September, 2014 by which time the said respondents will file the written statements together with a list of documents which the respondents intend to rely as evidence in support of their defence."
Petitioner`s counsel H S Jain told PTI that two main issues have been raised in the petition. Firstly Gandhi is yet to give up her citizenship of Italy and secondly, Shahi Imam of Delhi`s Jama Masjid,
Ahmed Bukhari, had appealed in favour of the Congress after the announcement of election dates.
The petitioner said this was wrong in the spirit of law and Gandhi`s election should be declared null and void.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Pakistan can inflict 'heavy losses' in war with India: Khawaja Muhammad Asif
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?