HC notice to Sonia Gandhi on plea challenging her election
Lucknow: The Allahabad High Court Thursday issued notice to Congress president Sonia Gandhi on a petition challenging her election from Rae Bareli parliamentary constituency.
Justice Tarun Agarwal of the bench here issued the notice on the petition filed by Ramesh Singh, a voter of Rae Bareli, seeking direction for quashing her election.
The court ordered for listing the petition on September 8.
In its order, the court said, "Admit. Issue notice to respondent no. 1 and 2 that is Smt. Sonia Gandhi and another (union of India) by ordinary process as well as by registered post..."
"List for orders on 8th September, 2014 by which time the said respondents will file the written statements together with a list of documents which the respondents intend to rely as evidence in support of their defence."
Petitioner`s counsel H S Jain told PTI that two main issues have been raised in the petition. Firstly Gandhi is yet to give up her citizenship of Italy and secondly, Shahi Imam of Delhi`s Jama Masjid,
Ahmed Bukhari, had appealed in favour of the Congress after the announcement of election dates.
The petitioner said this was wrong in the spirit of law and Gandhi`s election should be declared null and void.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- After Jayalalithaa, Sasikala Natarajan holds all cards – Know more about her