Helpline for Shia women to lodge complaints against foeticide
Lucknow: In a bid to check female
foeticide, the All India Shia Personal Law Board has decided
to set up a helpline for community women where they can lodge
their complaints against the practice.
"During the recent two day convention of the AISPLB, a
resolution was passed to start a helpline to check female
foeticide in the community," Chairman of the Board Mirza
Mohammad Athar told reporters.
Foeticide is strictly prohibited under Islamic law.
"As per the resolution if any woman is pressurised for
foeticide by her in-laws or others, she can call the helpline
and lodge her complaint," he said.
The chairman said that initially efforts would be made
to sensitise her family and if they insist on going ahead with
the foeticide, then they would be socially boycotted.
He said that during the convention emphasis was given
on giving the "meher" (money given by the groom to the bride)
at the time of marriage and efforts would be made to implement
the rule among Shia community.
"Another resolution was passed to check extravagant
expenditure during marriage. Community people have been
requested to organise mass marriage programme so that girls of
poor families get married at minimal expenditure," Mirza Athar
The convention has decided to press the education
ministry to incorporate a chapter on Hazrat Imam Hussain in
the curriculum as he made the supreme sacrifice for religion
It was also resolved to improve political and social
condition of Shias by creating awareness of their rights and
"Reservation for Shias in Rajya Sabha and Lok Sabha
seats being filled through nomination has been demanded in the
convention. It was also demanded that law should be framed to
give reservation to Shias in elections in accordance with
their population," the chairman said.
He alleged that benefit of rights of Shia Muslims were
being given to others.
Expressing concern over attack on Shia Muslims in
Pakistan and Afghanistan, he demanded that India should give
political asylum to Shias from these countries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch