Imrana refuses to accept compensation from father-in-law
Muzaffarnagar: Imrana has refused to accept compensation deposited in court by her father-in-law, who had allegedly raped her eight years ago, saying she would not compromise with her honour.
Imrana`s lawyer Sitaram Verma said she did not want to claim the compensation deposited by Ali Mohammed.
Mohammed was convicted by a local court which had imposed a fine of Rs 10,000 on him and directed him to pay Rs 8,000 to Imrana as compensation. He had deposited the amount in court in April, but Imrana has refused to accept it, Verma said.
On July 17, the Allahabad High Court granted bail to Mohammed on the ground that he has already spent eight years in jail since his arrest in June 2005.
On October 19, 2006, the district and sessions court had held Mohammed guilty of raping Imrana and sentenced him to 10-year prison term.
The incident, which occurred on June 6, 2005, had grabbed much attention when the minority community panchayat passed an edict that after the rape, Imrana, mother of five, would have to treat her husband as her son and that her marriage will be null and void.
Despite the panchayat ruling, Imrana continues to live with her husband Noor Ilahi at Kookra village near here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what