Imrana refuses to accept compensation from father-in-law
Muzaffarnagar: Imrana has refused to accept compensation deposited in court by her father-in-law, who had allegedly raped her eight years ago, saying she would not compromise with her honour.
Imrana`s lawyer Sitaram Verma said she did not want to claim the compensation deposited by Ali Mohammed.
Mohammed was convicted by a local court which had imposed a fine of Rs 10,000 on him and directed him to pay Rs 8,000 to Imrana as compensation. He had deposited the amount in court in April, but Imrana has refused to accept it, Verma said.
On July 17, the Allahabad High Court granted bail to Mohammed on the ground that he has already spent eight years in jail since his arrest in June 2005.
On October 19, 2006, the district and sessions court had held Mohammed guilty of raping Imrana and sentenced him to 10-year prison term.
The incident, which occurred on June 6, 2005, had grabbed much attention when the minority community panchayat passed an edict that after the rape, Imrana, mother of five, would have to treat her husband as her son and that her marriage will be null and void.
Despite the panchayat ruling, Imrana continues to live with her husband Noor Ilahi at Kookra village near here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj