Lawyer defending UP blast accused beaten up
Faizabad: One of the advocates defending four UP serial blasts accused, including Khalid Mujahid, was today beaten up by a group of around 50 lawyers allegedly owing allegiance to right-wing groups in court premises.
The lawyers beat up Mohammad Saleem and also ransacked the chambers of three other advocates representing the blasts accused this afternoon, SSP, Faizabad, Dharmendra Singh said.
Saleem was admitted to hospital where his condition was stated to be serious, he said.
High alert has been sounded and prohibitory orders have been issued in the district, he said.
Heavy deployment of forces has been done and anti-riot police pickets have been posted in sensitive localities of the district, he said.
Mujahid, an accused in serial blasts that had rocked Lucknow and Faizabad courts in November 2007, died on Saturday after he fell sick and fainted near Barabanki border while being escorted to Lucknow jail after a court hearing.
42 persons, including several police officials, have been booked for criminal conspiracy in connection with the death.
Giving details of today`s incident, Singh said around 50 lawyers reached the chambers of advocates Jamal Ahmad, Mohammad Nadeem, Sahkilur Rahman and Mohammad Saleem raising communal slogans.
Three of the lawyers managed to escape, but Saleem was caught and beaten by the mob of lawyers, who also ransacked the chambers of the advocates, he said.
A named FIR was lodged in Faizabad police station against some lawyers in connection with the incident, but no arrests have been made, he said.
Magistrates have been posted in various localities of the district and all security arrangements are in place for indefinite period till the situation returns to normal, the SSP said.
Advocate Jamal Ahmed alleged that the lawyers had affiliations with VHP and RSS. The blasts accused are on trial for alleged involvement in carrying out serial blasts on court premises of Faizabad, Lucknow, Gorakhpur and Varanasi.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents