Legal notice to Js Katju over ‘idiot Indians’ remarks
Lucknow: Two students from Lucknow have sent a legal notice to Press Council of India chairperson Justice Markandey Katju for his comment at a seminar last week that "90% of Indians were idiots."
The notice to Katju was sent by law student Tanaya Thakur and her brother, Class XI student Aditya Thakur.
Both said they found the comments hurtful, "We are deeply hurt and humiliated by Justice Katju`s words," the duo said Monday, adding that Justice Katju`s statements "would depreciate the reputation of India and its citizens".
"A person of Justice Katju`s stature should have deliberated on the implications of his statement," they said, and sought a public apology from the former Supreme Court judge.
The students said that if a public apology was not forthcoming, they would move the court in a month`s time.
At a seminar in New Delhi last week, Justice Katju had claimed that at least 90 percent of Indians are "idiots", easily be misled by mischievous elements in the name of religion.
"I say ninety percent of Indians are idiots. You people don`t have brains in your heads... It is so easy to take you for a ride," he was quoted as saying at the seminar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!