Mathura temple stampede: Death toll rises to 3
Mathura: Three pilgrims were killed and over two dozen injured in a stampede at the Ladli Ji temple in Barsana Sunday morning where a large congregation had gathered on the occasion of Radha Ashtami.
Malini Devi (60), from Bareilly, and Kusum (42), a resident of Faridabad, were crushed to death while Deepak (40) succumbed to his injuries at the district hospital, official sources said.
Two dozen people were injured and were admitted to various hospitals, they said.
While eye-witnesses claim that a stampede took place when devotees were passing through the exit gate during prayers, the police denied any incident of such nature had taken place.
"It is not an incident of stampede. In fact both the ladies died of heart attack as they reached the temple after climbing over 100 stairs," SP (Rural) AK Rai said.
While one of them died on the spot, the other breathed her last in hospital, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre