Mathura temple stampede: Death toll rises to 3
Mathura: Three pilgrims were killed and over two dozen injured in a stampede at the Ladli Ji temple in Barsana Sunday morning where a large congregation had gathered on the occasion of Radha Ashtami.
Malini Devi (60), from Bareilly, and Kusum (42), a resident of Faridabad, were crushed to death while Deepak (40) succumbed to his injuries at the district hospital, official sources said.
Two dozen people were injured and were admitted to various hospitals, they said.
While eye-witnesses claim that a stampede took place when devotees were passing through the exit gate during prayers, the police denied any incident of such nature had taken place.
"It is not an incident of stampede. In fact both the ladies died of heart attack as they reached the temple after climbing over 100 stairs," SP (Rural) AK Rai said.
While one of them died on the spot, the other breathed her last in hospital, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray