Mathura temple stampede: Death toll rises to 3
Mathura: Three pilgrims were killed and over two dozen injured in a stampede at the Ladli Ji temple in Barsana Sunday morning where a large congregation had gathered on the occasion of Radha Ashtami.
Malini Devi (60), from Bareilly, and Kusum (42), a resident of Faridabad, were crushed to death while Deepak (40) succumbed to his injuries at the district hospital, official sources said.
Two dozen people were injured and were admitted to various hospitals, they said.
While eye-witnesses claim that a stampede took place when devotees were passing through the exit gate during prayers, the police denied any incident of such nature had taken place.
"It is not an incident of stampede. In fact both the ladies died of heart attack as they reached the temple after climbing over 100 stairs," SP (Rural) AK Rai said.
While one of them died on the spot, the other breathed her last in hospital, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Gorilla shot dead after child falls into enclosure at Cincinnati Zoo!
- Are increasing attacks on African students racial in nature?
- Are increasing attacks on African students racial in nature? - Part II
- Are increasing attacks on African students racial in nature? - Part III
- Are increasing attacks on African students racial in nature? - Part IV
- Saudi Arabia denounces Iran over decision to not send Hajj pilgrims this year
- Vaishno Devi pilgrim dies after heart attack
- CLP leader Narayanasamy meets Kiran Bedi, stakes claim to form government in Puducherry
- Amitabh Bachchan finally reacts to daughter-in-law Aishwarya Rai's purple lips at Cannes!
- PHOTO: When Yuvraj Singh did push ups during post-match celebration in Chris Gayle style after SRH beat RCB