Mayawati flayed for deteriorating law and order
New Delhi: Congress and BJP on Monday lashed out
at Mayawati government for the "deteriorating" law and order
situation in Uttar Pradesh, saying even Dalits were not
safe in the state headed by a person from the same community.
Both the parties were reacting separately to the recent
incidents of atrocities against Dalit girls in Fatehpur and
"The law and order situation in Uttar Pradesh has
completely deteriorated. Dalit girls in their own houses are
no longer safe in a state where a Dalit lady is the chief
minister. Can there be a worst situation for the dispossessed,
the Dalits of the state?" BJP spokesperson Nirmala Sitharaman
She was reacting to the latest case of atrocity against a
16-year Dalit girl whose ear, nose and part of her hand were
chopped off by three youths when she resisted their attempt
to rape her in Bindaki area of Fatehpur district.
"The National Commission for Women also has said that
there is absolutley not even an FIR to file (sic). The state
has been moving from one state of abysmal law and order
situation to another," Sitharaman said.
BJP demanded that the BSP government make the state safe
for people from all sections, particularly women.
"Law and order has to be immediately restored. There is
no faith left there. The cases against Dalit women should be
tried in fast-track courts," Sitharaman said.
She alleged that even officials and engineers were not
safe in Uttar Pradesh.
"People are not getting justice. Even FIRs are not being
filed. MLAs and MPs are also alleged to be involved in these
crimes. Surely, the Chief Minister would not like to go to
elections with this kind of a record. We demand immediate
action," Sitharaman said.
Congress also came out with a strong reaction, saying
the Mayawati government which came to power on the law and
order issue, had failed on this front.
"Mayawati came to power promising that she will imporve
law and order and take strong action against criminals but in
last years (of BSP`s rule), it is clear that criminals, are
occupying the seats of power. They are getting shelter under
Mayawati government," senior Congress leader Digvijay Singh
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'