Mayawati flayed for deteriorating law and order
New Delhi: Congress and BJP on Monday lashed out
at Mayawati government for the "deteriorating" law and order
situation in Uttar Pradesh, saying even Dalits were not
safe in the state headed by a person from the same community.
Both the parties were reacting separately to the recent
incidents of atrocities against Dalit girls in Fatehpur and
"The law and order situation in Uttar Pradesh has
completely deteriorated. Dalit girls in their own houses are
no longer safe in a state where a Dalit lady is the chief
minister. Can there be a worst situation for the dispossessed,
the Dalits of the state?" BJP spokesperson Nirmala Sitharaman
She was reacting to the latest case of atrocity against a
16-year Dalit girl whose ear, nose and part of her hand were
chopped off by three youths when she resisted their attempt
to rape her in Bindaki area of Fatehpur district.
"The National Commission for Women also has said that
there is absolutley not even an FIR to file (sic). The state
has been moving from one state of abysmal law and order
situation to another," Sitharaman said.
BJP demanded that the BSP government make the state safe
for people from all sections, particularly women.
"Law and order has to be immediately restored. There is
no faith left there. The cases against Dalit women should be
tried in fast-track courts," Sitharaman said.
She alleged that even officials and engineers were not
safe in Uttar Pradesh.
"People are not getting justice. Even FIRs are not being
filed. MLAs and MPs are also alleged to be involved in these
crimes. Surely, the Chief Minister would not like to go to
elections with this kind of a record. We demand immediate
action," Sitharaman said.
Congress also came out with a strong reaction, saying
the Mayawati government which came to power on the law and
order issue, had failed on this front.
"Mayawati came to power promising that she will imporve
law and order and take strong action against criminals but in
last years (of BSP`s rule), it is clear that criminals, are
occupying the seats of power. They are getting shelter under
Mayawati government," senior Congress leader Digvijay Singh
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says