Moradabad violence: DIG injured, jeep torched
Moradabad: A Deputy Inspector General of
Uttar Pradesh Police was injured when an irate mob, protesting
alleged police misbehaviour with women, indulged in arson and
brickbatting in a village here this afternoon.
DIG (Moradabad) Ashok Kumar received head injuries and
a police jeep was set afire in violence in Asatalpur village,
The trouble arose when a police team, which raided the
village in connection with a case, faced stiff resistance from
The villagers alleged the police misbehaved with women
and showed disrespect to a holy book.
When they staged a sit-in on the Moradabad-Sambhal
road, DIG Ashok Kumar with a posse of policemen rushed to the
He too encountered strong opposition from the locals
who indulged in heavy brickbatting and set afire a police
The DIG suffered head injuries and was admitted to a
private hospital, the officials said.
Police in strength had been deployed in the village
where the situation was tense but under control, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users