Moradabad violence: DIG injured, jeep torched
Moradabad: A Deputy Inspector General of
Uttar Pradesh Police was injured when an irate mob, protesting
alleged police misbehaviour with women, indulged in arson and
brickbatting in a village here this afternoon.
DIG (Moradabad) Ashok Kumar received head injuries and
a police jeep was set afire in violence in Asatalpur village,
The trouble arose when a police team, which raided the
village in connection with a case, faced stiff resistance from
The villagers alleged the police misbehaved with women
and showed disrespect to a holy book.
When they staged a sit-in on the Moradabad-Sambhal
road, DIG Ashok Kumar with a posse of policemen rushed to the
He too encountered strong opposition from the locals
who indulged in heavy brickbatting and set afire a police
The DIG suffered head injuries and was admitted to a
private hospital, the officials said.
Police in strength had been deployed in the village
where the situation was tense but under control, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror