Moradabad violence: DIG injured, jeep torched
Moradabad: A Deputy Inspector General of
Uttar Pradesh Police was injured when an irate mob, protesting
alleged police misbehaviour with women, indulged in arson and
brickbatting in a village here this afternoon.
DIG (Moradabad) Ashok Kumar received head injuries and
a police jeep was set afire in violence in Asatalpur village,
The trouble arose when a police team, which raided the
village in connection with a case, faced stiff resistance from
The villagers alleged the police misbehaved with women
and showed disrespect to a holy book.
When they staged a sit-in on the Moradabad-Sambhal
road, DIG Ashok Kumar with a posse of policemen rushed to the
He too encountered strong opposition from the locals
who indulged in heavy brickbatting and set afire a police
The DIG suffered head injuries and was admitted to a
private hospital, the officials said.
Police in strength had been deployed in the village
where the situation was tense but under control, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Perez grabs 3rd spot, gives Force India 4th ever podium finish
- Two dead, including one suspect, in Houston shooting: Police
- Had I stayed with AB de Villiers a little longer, it would have been different: Virat Kohli
- IPL 2016: Individual awards for outstanding players
- IPL 2016 final: It was a total team effort, says SRH's captain David Warner