Muzaffarnagar riots: HC refuses stay on arrest of MLA, ex-MP
Allahabad: The Allahabad High Court has dismissed petitions of BJP MLA Kunwar Bharatendu Singh and former Congress MP Saiduzzaman seeking stay on their arrest in connection with the Muzaffarnagar riots.
Singh, MLA from Bijnore and Saiduzzaman, former Muzaffarnagar MP, were among the 16 persons against whom a Muzaffarnagar court had issued arrest warrants.
Their petition was rejected by a division bench of Justices Surendra Singh and Bachchoo Lal. In its order dated September 27, the court remarked, "From the perusal of the FIRs, prima facie it cannot be said that no cognisable offence is made out. No ground exists for quashing of the FIRs or staying arrests of the petitioners".
The petitioners had challenged the FIRs claiming that the prosecution has been instituted with malafide intention for the purposes of harassment and to victimise the petitioners.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?