Muzaffarnagar riots: HC refuses stay on arrest of MLA, ex-MP
Allahabad: The Allahabad High Court has dismissed petitions of BJP MLA Kunwar Bharatendu Singh and former Congress MP Saiduzzaman seeking stay on their arrest in connection with the Muzaffarnagar riots.
Singh, MLA from Bijnore and Saiduzzaman, former Muzaffarnagar MP, were among the 16 persons against whom a Muzaffarnagar court had issued arrest warrants.
Their petition was rejected by a division bench of Justices Surendra Singh and Bachchoo Lal. In its order dated September 27, the court remarked, "From the perusal of the FIRs, prima facie it cannot be said that no cognisable offence is made out. No ground exists for quashing of the FIRs or staying arrests of the petitioners".
The petitioners had challenged the FIRs claiming that the prosecution has been instituted with malafide intention for the purposes of harassment and to victimise the petitioners.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Shocking ISIS video: English-speaking 10-year-old boy beheads hostage, warns America