Muzaffarnagar riots: SIC begins probe, visits villages
Muzaffarnagar: The Special Investigation Cell (SIC) constituted by Uttar Pradesh government has begun its probe into the 106 cases registered in connection with Muzaffarnagar riots that left 49 people dead.
The district has been divided into two zones led by one additional SP, one deputy SP and 18 police inspectors each, Superintendent of Police (Crime), Kavita Saxena, who is leading the SIC investigations, said.
The two teams led by additional SPs Manoj Jha and Pramod Sanger started the investigation yesterday. They visited the affected villages and recorded the statements, she said.
Police has registered 106 cases including 43 murder cases in connection with the riots. 408 people from the violence hit Muzaffarnagar have been named in the cases, she said.
The UP government had formed SIC earlier this week to investigate the cases registered in connection with the riots.
While Saxena will be heading the investigations in Muzaffarnagar, IGP (Crime) Ashish Gupta was yesterday made the officer in-charge to supervise the overall probe at the state police headquarters in Lucknow.
Communal clashes in Muzaffarnagar and its adjoining areas claimed 49 lives and left thousands of others homeless.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day