No illegality in order against Siddiqui: UP to HC
Allahabad: Uttar Pradesh government on Tuesday told Allahabad High Court that there was "no illegality" in Lokayukta`s order to refer a disproportionate assets case against former minister Nasimuddin Siddiqui to Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav for fresh consideration after the previous Mayawati dispensation decided not to proceed in the matter.
The submission was made by Advocate General SP Gupta before a division bench comprising Justice Amitava Lala and Justice PKS Baghel which was hearing a petition filed by the former minister and his wife Husna Siddiqui challenging the Lokayukta`s order dated March 15, 2012.
Mayawati had in February this year, prior to being voted out of power, turned down Lokayukta`s recommendation for a probe by CBI and Enforcement Directorate against Siddiqui stating that the allegations against him had "to do with him as a person and not as a minister and hence he could not be prosecuted under Section 12(4) of the Lokayukta Act that covers corruption charges against a civil servant".
Siddiqui had moved the petition stating that the Lokayukta had no power to resend the matter to the new CM following the change of guard in the state.
The court has, meanwhile, ordered that hearing in the matter shall continue tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Are central govt employees justified in demanding salary hike?
- Odisha CM directs administration to be ready to tackle floods
- Austrian GP: Mercedes drier Nico Rosberg targets hat-trick on Sunday
- Govt will push GST bill passage in monsoon session: Naidu
- AAP legislator Dinesh Mohaniya, accused of sexually harassing woman, gets bail
- Salman Khan ‘raped woman’ remark controversy: Here's what Iulia Vantur advised the actor!