Oppn dubs proposed UP land policy as `big fraud` on farmers
Lucknow: Opposition parties on Thursday dubbed as a
"big fraud" the proposed land acquisition policy announced by
Chief Minister Mayawati and saw in it an attempt to misguide
farmers agitating for a better deal for their land.
"The new policy is nothing but an exhibition of state
government`s fraudulent politics as there is no provision for
providing relief to farmers of Bhatta Parsaul, Tappal and
other villages where they had launched agitation against
forced acquisition and faced bullets," SP spokesman Rajendra
UPCC chief Rita Bahuguna Joshi said the new policy was
announced in a huff without any debate, thereby "befooling
innocent farmers". She questioned the logic of bringing the
new policy just a few weeks before the Union government is
scheduled to bring a bill in Parliament in this regard.
Describing the Mayawati government as anti-farmer, BJP
spokesman Vijay Pathak said since the state government did not
implement earlier policies on public welfare, there was no
guarantee that it would do so this time.
CPI-ML too termed the new policy as incomplete and said it
would not help the farmers.
Facing flak over acquiring land for private companies,
Mayawati earlier in the day announced a new land acquisition
policy under which the role of the state government in
acquiring land for private developers would only be that of a
The chief minister, who held a farmers` panchayat here to
discuss their problems, announced that the new policy will be
implemented with immediate effect.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm