Police baton-charge crowd during idol immersion procession
Gorakhpur: Police used batons to control a crowd taking part in a Ganesh idol immersion procession after they refused to stop playing loud music in Hatthi Mai area here on Sunday night.
A procession to immerse Ganesha idol was being taken out from Hatti Mai area to Rajghat around 10 PM last night. Loud music was being played during the function.
On the complaint of neighbours, SP (City) Paresh Pandey stopped the DJ in the procession and sent the Ganesha idol with leading citizens of the locality for immersion.
Police also used batons to disperse the crowd.
After an hour of this incident, the residents of the area sat on a dharna under the leadership of local MP Yogi Adityanath and demanded action against police officers involved.
The matter was resolved with the intervention of District Magistrate Ravi Kumar NG and SSP Pradip Kumar.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan