Rahul visits house of Lakhimpur `rape` victim
Lakhimpur: Taking the Uttar Pradesh
administration and police by surprise, Congress leader Rahul
Gandhi on Wednesday met family members of the 14-year-old girl, who
was allegedly raped and murdered inside a police station in
Nighasan in the district.
"Rahul had a half-an-hour closed-door meeting with the
family members of the victim, after which he inspected the
spot where the girl`s body was found hanging from a tree on
June 10," party sources said.
The victim`s mother Tarannum narrated the incident to
the Congress leader, who later said that a copy of the FIR has
not yet been provided to the family.
“Even so many days after the incident, the copy of the
FIR has not been provided to the victim`s family. Her mother
says that justice will not be done without a CBI probe into
the incident," Gandhi said in a brief interaction with the
The Congress general secretary`s visit to Nighasan took
everyone by surprise as he was scheduled to leave for Delhi in
the afternoon after attending a meeting at Indira Gandhi
National Aviation Academy in Rae Bareli.
"He took a detour and went to Nighasan in Lakhimpur
district," a Congress leader said.
After the meeting at the academy with Union Aviation
Minister Vayalar Ravi at Fursatganj, Rahul flew to Lucknow
instead of Delhi as scheduled, he said.
"The Congress leader told Rae Bareli SP that he was
going to Lucknow because of inclement weather," Special
Director General of Police Brij Lal told reporters in Lucknow.
"There was no information about his Lakhimpur visit," he
Gandhi, instead of taking a flight to Delhi, undertook a
road journey from Amausi airport to Nighasan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed?
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part II
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part III
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part IV
- Why is "Make in India" given more importance than people dying of hunger?
- Facebook rewards 10-year-old for discovering flaw in Instagram
- Google autonomous car project teams with Fiat Chrysler
- Will shoot policemen if they continue to harass BJP workers, warns BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Brazil court scraps suspension of WhatsApp
- Emaar MGF defends Rahul Gandhi, says allegations levelled by BJP MP are baseless