Rahul visits house of Lakhimpur `rape` victim
Lakhimpur: Taking the Uttar Pradesh
administration and police by surprise, Congress leader Rahul
Gandhi on Wednesday met family members of the 14-year-old girl, who
was allegedly raped and murdered inside a police station in
Nighasan in the district.
"Rahul had a half-an-hour closed-door meeting with the
family members of the victim, after which he inspected the
spot where the girl`s body was found hanging from a tree on
June 10," party sources said.
The victim`s mother Tarannum narrated the incident to
the Congress leader, who later said that a copy of the FIR has
not yet been provided to the family.
“Even so many days after the incident, the copy of the
FIR has not been provided to the victim`s family. Her mother
says that justice will not be done without a CBI probe into
the incident," Gandhi said in a brief interaction with the
The Congress general secretary`s visit to Nighasan took
everyone by surprise as he was scheduled to leave for Delhi in
the afternoon after attending a meeting at Indira Gandhi
National Aviation Academy in Rae Bareli.
"He took a detour and went to Nighasan in Lakhimpur
district," a Congress leader said.
After the meeting at the academy with Union Aviation
Minister Vayalar Ravi at Fursatganj, Rahul flew to Lucknow
instead of Delhi as scheduled, he said.
"The Congress leader told Rae Bareli SP that he was
going to Lucknow because of inclement weather," Special
Director General of Police Brij Lal told reporters in Lucknow.
"There was no information about his Lakhimpur visit," he
Gandhi, instead of taking a flight to Delhi, undertook a
road journey from Amausi airport to Nighasan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened