Rains lash UP, water level rises in Ganga, Yamuna
Lucknow: Monsoon continued to hold sway in Uttar Pradesh on Friday with most parts of the state receiving moderate to heavy showers leading to an alarming rise in the water level of the Ganga and Yamuna.
Gonda received the highest amount of rainfall at 17 cm, followed by Ayodhya and Katerniaghat at 16 cm each, Tarabganj and Jaunpur 15 cm each, Kakardarighat 14 cm and Chatnag 12 cm.
According to central water commission sources, the waters of Ganga and Yamuna are fast rising at various places in the state, especially at Palia Kalan, Elgin Bridge and Ayodhya.
The MeT department here said the monsoon is likely to remain active at many places in east Uttar Pradesh and a few areas in the state`s west in the next 24 hours.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Janmashtami: Watch Dahi-Handi celebrations from Mumbai
- Vietnam scientists spot rare endangered primates
- David Warner named Australia captain as Steve Smith heads home to rest ahead of hectic home schedule
- Is butter healthy? Five reasons to eat Krishna's favourite!
- Air India Mumbai-Newark flight diverted to Kazakhstan