Rains lash UP, water level rises in Ganga, Yamuna
Lucknow: Monsoon continued to hold sway in Uttar Pradesh on Friday with most parts of the state receiving moderate to heavy showers leading to an alarming rise in the water level of the Ganga and Yamuna.
Gonda received the highest amount of rainfall at 17 cm, followed by Ayodhya and Katerniaghat at 16 cm each, Tarabganj and Jaunpur 15 cm each, Kakardarighat 14 cm and Chatnag 12 cm.
According to central water commission sources, the waters of Ganga and Yamuna are fast rising at various places in the state, especially at Palia Kalan, Elgin Bridge and Ayodhya.
The MeT department here said the monsoon is likely to remain active at many places in east Uttar Pradesh and a few areas in the state`s west in the next 24 hours.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Valentine week: Celebrate 'Kiss Day' with these unique kisses!
- Why Modi never spoke on issues like beef or Muzaffarnagar, asks Manmohan Singh
- 4th ODI: South Africa vs England - Hosts win game by solitary wicket to level series
- JNUSU prez Kanhaiya Kumar sent to 3-day police custody over Afzal Guru row, says being targeted for defeating ABVP in polls
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus