SC says no to Maya for memorial maintenance work
New Delhi: The Supreme Court today declined to grant any relief to UP Chief Minister Mayawati for carrying out maintenance and cleaning work at the Rs 2600 crore Ambedkar site in Lucknow.
Justice H S Bedi, who was heading the Bench, also at one stage threatened to recuse from the matter after senior counsel Abhishek Manu Singhvi pleaded that the matter be heard
by a three-judge bench that included Justice Aftab Alam. The Bench also comprising Justice P S Thakur said the UP government`s plea for carrying out maintenance and cleaning work at the site to mark Ambedkar`s anniversary on December six cannot be entertained as the petitioner Mithilesh Kumar Singh has not filed his response.
The apex court said that since the matter is being posted for hearing to January 20, the UP government`s plea cannot be entertained at this stage and hence, has become
However, after the matter was adjourned, Singhvi submitted that the hearing should be conducted by a three judge bench including Justice Alam, who was part of the earlier bench which had heard the matter at length.
This submission irked Justice Bedi, who offered to recuse if either parties do not have faith in him.
"This is not a matter for you to decide. You are being ungentlemanly and unkind to us. Whether it is a two or three judge bench, it is for the Chief Justice to decide," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!